Barcode encyclopedia : Symbology rss-16
Composite Symbology Barcode
RSS (Reduced Space Symbology) are the largest barcode types for space-constrained identification from EAN International and Uniform Code Council Inc.
RSS barcodes have benn identified to solve problems in the grocery industry and in healthcare, where items are too small to allow for older barcode symbology.
About the RSS SymbologyRSS-14 is capable of encoding up to 20,000,000,000,000 values.There are actually 15 chars that make up the barcode, but only 14 characters are encoded.
- First character is linkage flag, determines if there is composite 2D barcode.This is first character encoded and it should not be included in the data encoded.
- The next 14 characters in RSS14 are the 13 data characters and one check digit
- if less than 14 digits are entered, zeroes padded to the linkage flag.
- There is an implied AI (Application Identifier) for standard RSS-14
Types of RSS
- RSS-14 Truncated - same as RSS-14, butheight is set to 13 times of X dimension.This symbology may be scanned omnidirectional.
- RSS-14 Stacked - same as RSS-14.Separated to create a split level barcode. The height of each row is ascenrtained from height property of the control. Tha barcode contains a separator pattern, containing no data,which height is equal 3 times to the X dimension.Omni-directional symbology. Not allow human readable text.
- RSS-14 Stacked Omni-directional - contain separated data to split level barcodeThe height of each row is ascertained from height,, the barcode contain separator item, containing no data,height equal 3 times the X dimension.Omni-directionalAllow human readable text.
- RSS-14 Limited - same as RSS-14, but limit is 4,000,000,000,000 values.Not be read by omni-directional scanners.
- RSS-14 Expanded - variable length symbology, capable of encoding 74 numeric or 41 alphabetic characters.Includes linkage flags, which indicates 2D composite barcode associated with linear barcode.
UPC/EAN composite symbology:The EAN/UCC Composite Symbology consists on a linear component, encoded item price and supplementary data.
- Composite Code A - derived from MicroPDF417, for EAN8, UPC A, UPC E0 and RSS
- Composite Code C - derived from PDF417 for UCC/EAN128
MicroPDF417 is 2D composite barcode, assigned a specific matrix row/column combinations.Maximum data encoded is 56 numeric characters.Alpha characters and punctuation can be encoded, but will reduce the maximum encoded chars.
The composite Code C is used as UCC/EAN128 barcodes, can encode 2,000 characters. The maximum characters to encode is based on numeric characters.